Saturday, July 9, 2011

Looking Up - Colors of the Sky

Last night it rained at the Hershberger farmstead.  We had a brief thunderstorm, then the rain fell for over an hour afterward.  I'm not sure when it stopped but for a while we had the kind of rain that makes a continuous pattering sound as it hits the leaves on the tree outside our living room window.  It's a different, gentler sound than when its rebounding off the deck or off pavement.  It's one of my favorite sounds.

Today the sky is a beautiful bright blue, the blue that you only get after a good rain.  After the rain has cleaned the dust and pollen and tree seeds and all the other stuff that gets transported by the winds out here.  

When we were on vacation in Oklahoma the temps were in the 100's almost every day.  The sky took on a milky cast even when there were no clouds in the sky.  I guess it has something to do with the heat radiating from the ground and making the sky look a steely blue. 

And I love clouds.  I have for as long as I can remember.  I pay attention to the clouds.  Today they're large and fluffy, like giant puffs of pillow stuffing.  My favorite clouds are the ones that look like cotton balls all over the sky.  And the towering, menacing ones that signal the build up of a severe thunderstorm--the anvil clouds.  Cumulonimbus I think they're called.  But I love all of the variations of cumulus clouds.


Look up.  What does the sky over you look like today?  What kind of clouds do you see?  Paint me a picture of what you see...with words.

No comments:

Post a Comment